Thread: My trip to Brands Hatch and BTCC

Default My trip to Brands Hatch and BTCC

With some free time finally in my schedule I decided to take a few days off last week and head over to the UK for the BTCC finale at Brands Hatch. I never experienced racing on the other side of the pond and figured that Brands Hatch wouldn't let me down.

Luckily the flight YUL-LHR was smooth and relaxing. As the day I had wasn't.

I had planned to do some sightseeing in London so Sunday was the only day I could make it out to the track. It was very typical British weather, cloudy, misty, raining and cold. However as I soon saw from my surroundings that Motorsports in UK was on an entirely new level compared to what I'm around in North America. The bar had the F1 race on and the entire place was silent watching the race as if it were a church service...

After grabbing a £3 pint of Carling it was time to tour the paddocks for Carrera Cup, Clio Cup and Ginetta GT. I managed to speak to some of the crew members from all series and exchange track tales/ knowledge. Most were shocked I had traveled from Canada to come to Brands Hatch.

By now it was time to grab another pint and pick out a spot to watch the ClioCup race. I had decided that Paddock Hill would be the best.What shocked me is that almost the entire track was general admission. The fans were very friendly, respectful and polite. They wouldn't steal your spot if you left to get more boy. Again most were shocked I had come so far.

ClioCup cars went 4 wide into the corner on the 1st lap and well that didn't work out too well. I managed to get the contact on video.

Once ClipCup was over it was time for the 1st of 2 BTCC races..

The racing itself was very action packed and even better than what I had expected. Passing, contact and hard driving every lap!

After watching the Formula Ford, Ginetta GT and Carrera Cup race the weather started getting worse and the sky started to open up. The 2nd and final BTCC race had turned into a soggy mess. The racing though was spectacular on every level. My jacket was wet, hat soaked and umbrella broken but I stayed.

I've been to many racing events,Nascar, F1, IndyCar, Rolex Sport cars etc but BTCC was simply amazing. The races aren't long and the action starts right away, door to door action. Brands Hatch is a great track and has great facilities. I'd love to do a track day there one day. I enjoyed mingling with the British race fans who were very passionate and took it as a religion. Everyone was friendly but don't speak loudly during the actual racing. I will return!

Chapter President

Nice post! The British sure take their racing seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
    With some free time finally in my schedule I decided to take a few days off last week and head over to the UK for the BTCC finale at Brands Hatch. I never experienced racing on the other side of the pond and figured that Brands Hatch wouldn't let me down.

Luckily the flight YUL-LHR was smooth and relaxing. As the day I had wasn't.

I had planned to do some sightseeing in London so Sunday was the only day I could make it out to the track. It was very typical British weather, cloudy, misty, raining and cold. However as I soon saw from my surroundings that Motorsports in UK was on an entirely new level compared to what I'm around in North America. The bar had the F1 race on and the entire place was silent watching the race as if it were a church service...

After grabbing a £3 pint of Carling it was time to tour the paddocks for Carrera Cup, Clio Cup and Ginetta GT. I managed to speak to some of the crew members from all series and exchange track tales/ knowledge. Most were shocked I had traveled from Canada to come to Brands Hatch.

By now it was time to grab another pint and pick out a spot to watch the ClioCup race. I had decided that Paddock Hill would be the best.What shocked me is that almost the entire track was general admission. The fans were very friendly, respectful and polite. They wouldn't steal your spot if you left to get more boy. Again most were shocked I had come so far.

ClioCup cars went 4 wide into the corner on the 1st lap and well that didn't work out too well. I managed to get the contact on video.

Once ClipCup was over it was time for the 1st of 2 BTCC races..

The racing itself was very action packed and even better than what I had expected. Passing, contact and hard driving every lap!

After watching the Formula Ford, Ginetta GT and Carrera Cup race the weather started getting worse and the sky started to open up. The 2nd and final BTCC race had turned into a soggy mess. The racing though was spectacular on every level. My jacket was wet, hat soaked and umbrella broken but I stayed.

I've been to many racing events,Nascar, F1, IndyCar, Rolex Sport cars etc but BTCC was simply amazing. The races aren't long and the action starts right away, door to door action. Brands Hatch is a great track and has great facilities. I'd love to do a track day there one day. I enjoyed mingling with the British race fans who were very passionate and took it as a religion. Everyone was friendly but don't speak loudly during the actual racing. I will return!

Cool story, nice pics
    Alex