Thread: Dual duty BMW 135i Brake Pads + Cooling

Default Dual duty BMW 135i Brake Pads + Cooling

As I visit the track as often as once a week with my dual duty 135i, I want to avoid switching between street and track pads/rotors on a weekly basis.

After debating on my next choice of dual-duty brake pads since last autumn, I finally settled on Carbotech XP10 front and rear pads on my 135i, because PFC are still not available and may never be for the BMW 135i caliper.

I have absolutely no screeching noises on the street so far. I used copper paste on all pad contact points, both surfaces of the Titanium heat shields, and guide pins.

Will try the XP10 pads on the track for the 1st time next week. Ive installed 0.5mm Titanium Heat shields, and F30 Retrofit Brake Cooling dust shields.

The minor inconveniences with the Carbotech's, if you are willing to accept them are:

#1 - CT XP Pads move around when cold, as they are smaller than street pads. This design allows the XP pads to expand under extreme heat at the track.
    (a) So any time you change direction with the car (forward to reverse, or reverse to forward) you will hear a slight clunk sound as the pad slightly moves from top to bottom of the caliper. This will only happen once after you change direction.
    (b) when you drive over bumps at slow speeds, you might occasionally hear the brake pad rattle sound.

#2 - CT XP Pads are a little abrasive to the rotors when cold (street use), with a hidden benefit that they will clean deposits off your old rotors. You only will need to bed them just before hitting the track. When you are done at the track and drive them on the street again, you will automatically scrape off the pad transfer layer. Surprisingly, the pads work well on the streets, without any transfer layer or bedding process required, until you hit the track again.

#3 - CT XP Pads are dusty. About the same or a little dirtier than OE street pads. The difference is the dust is sticky and hard to removed off of the rims without burring micro scratches in them. That what's happened to mine. That convinced me to buy special wheel cleaner and wheel sealant.

#4 - CT XP wear sensor cutout is wrong. Not molded properly to hold OE sensor, so you must secure your sensor cable out of the way. No problem for me as I check pad thickness very often because I track my car.
    Last edited by dcaron999; 04-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Too bad Pagid doesn't make an RS19 for the 135i.

If you start frequenting the track often enough and get up to sufficient speed any pad intended for street use will begin to be inadequate. Especially in a 300 hp car.

If you want to have confidence in your braking system on the track you must accept some minor annoyances in street use. There is no way around it. Some race pads behave better on the street and some don't. And those quirks are not that much of an issue once you understand why they are happening and that they are not indicating any other problems with your car.

Pads that are marketed as "dual use" in most cases are disappointing. You can't have it all. Heavy use requires appropriate equipment.
    Not everybody has the budget and time to get it all perfect. Not a problem, but you have to understand the limits of what you have. If the pads get soft because they are more street oriented you have to adjust your driving. Still beats not driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    If you do encounter someone over there(USA) who’s fond of performance cars they’re only really interested in how much g can be generated in the bends, whereas here those of a petrolhead disposition don’t care at all about grip, only what happens when it’s lost and the car is sliding. Then you are into the world of handling. A world where nothing but skill keeps you out of the hedge.

Thanks for your input guys.

So far, Im happy with the Carbotech XP10 endurance pads. The post #1 inconveniences are minor to me . Did a lot of research before choosing these endurance pads. I was most concerned with noise when applying brakes on cold pads/rotors. It turns out that the CT XP10 pads are very silent, and have good cold bite.

Other items I did on my pre-owned 2011 135i since I bought in June 2013 are: 225/40f 255/35r 18" Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Quaife 3.46 FD LSD, CDV delete, BMS clutchstop, Ground Control Street Camber Plates, E92/M3 Control Arms, E92/M3 rear subframe bushings, E46/M3 transmission mounts, Cobb Stg1 aggressive Tune, Carbotech Xp10 pads, Hardbrakes Ti Heat shields, Dimple magnetic drain bolts for engine oil and transmission fluid.
    Last edited by dcaron999; 04-17-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Default Performance Friction '08' Brake Pads for the 135i - It's a GO!!!

Performance Friction '08' Brake Pads for the 135i is now a reality! *tu*

Many thanks to Anish at Speed-Freaks.net for putting pressure on Performance Friction, and making this happen!

They are the first authorized reseller for the PFC 08 pads for the 135i!

Speed-Freaks will have 30 sets for sale, with the first 20 to be provided 15% off MSRP and free shipping.

Just an FYI, they will have firm pricing tomorrow...

Front: http://speed-freaks.net/i-18405606-p...rake-pads.html

Rear: http://speed-freaks.net/i-18405609-p...rake-pads.html
    M-Sport 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255/35+255/35 Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpecs | Quaife 3.46 FD LSD | CDV delete | BMS clutchstop | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 Front Control Arms & rear subframe bushings & transmission mounts | Cobb PTF Stg1 custom tune | PFC 08 brake pads | Hardbrakes Ti Heat shields | F30 brake cooling shields | Custom brake cooling ducts

Quote Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
    Performance Friction '08' Brake Pads for the 135i is now a reality! *tu*

Many thanks to Anish at Speed-Freaks.net for putting pressure on Performance Friction, and making this happen!

They are the first authorized reseller for the PFC 08 pads for the 135i!

Speed-Freaks will have 30 sets for sale, with the first 20 to be provided 15% off MSRP and free shipping.

Just an FYI, they will have firm pricing tomorrow...

Front: http://speed-freaks.net/i-18405606-p...rake-pads.html

Rear: http://speed-freaks.net/i-18405609-p...rake-pads.html
    Did you check whether Perry Auto carries them for the 135? They do for the 335 which is same as the E46 M3 (I think). The first sets did not have the springs and they rattled me crazy, thank god they eventually had those with springs.

So if anybody looking for a slightly used PFC 08 Front sets for 335 without springs, I'll donate them

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Did you check whether Perry Auto carries them for the 135?
    Speed-Freaks.net will be the first reseller to carry the 135i pads. They paid good money to PFC to have them design the pads. I will be a beta tester for the PFC 08 compound pads. I suppose Perry Auto will eventually be able to get the pads as well...
    M-Sport 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255/35+255/35 Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpecs | Quaife 3.46 FD LSD | CDV delete | BMS clutchstop | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 Front Control Arms & rear subframe bushings & transmission mounts | Cobb PTF Stg1 custom tune | PFC 08 brake pads | Hardbrakes Ti Heat shields | F30 brake cooling shields | Custom brake cooling ducts

Update on my winter project, to solve my brake fading issue related to heat ...

I found a way to fit 2-inch CAT-8 aircraft grade flex piping, by tapping a hole in the OE brake duct, and routing under the belly pan/splashshield.

See pics below:

This is where I have tapped a hole in the OE duct that goes into the wheel fender...

These are central vacumm 2-inch elbows that I used my dremel on, to create a mouth, and "Steal" the air from the OE bumper duct...

... elbow fed through cut-out on passenger side OE duct ...

... I used a flexible rubber funnel, that I carefully and gradually cut to fit inside the driver-side OE duct, and funnel air into my 2-inch 90* elbow...

This is how I route my 2-inch flex piping, above the plastic splash shield/belly pan, on the passenger side...

I havent yet decided whether to attach a 2-inch flange to the brake dust shield, or just cut an opening in the dust shield, and point the mouth of a 2-inch 45* elbow towards the center of the rotor.

i'd attach the flange to the brake shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
    i'd attach the flange to the brake shield.
    Last picture above is not my final setup, but just a fitment test...

There is very little space to attach the flange on my dust shield, as the E82 hub is huge. It's going to be difficult to direct cold air towards center of rotor, versus face of rotor...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=34&fg=07

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=31&fg=10

Finished my cooling ducting today. Hope this budget solution solves my brake fade in 2015... To be continued ...

Thumbs up for Anish at SpeedFreaks, who pushed on PFC to get BMW 135i track pads produced late last summer. PFC are a tough bunch to work with, when developping a new pad choice, and it took a lot of persuasion and escalation to get them to produce these for the 135i.

The PFC 08 pads are thinner than other pads out of the box, but longevity is better. Only pad choice that is designed for the track, but works very well on the street, as far as Im concerned. I got minor fade on certain tracks, but mainly due to my brake overheating issue, worsened by my Titanium Heat Shields, which although protected my calipers and brake fluid, kept more heat in the pads and accelerated their wear and fade.

I just completed my winter brake ducting project, and looking forward to putting these to the test, to see if I solved my brake fade issue due to heat ...

The PFC08 is a great 135i pad choice, if not the ultimate pad choice for out there. I encourage you to look into these if you havent done so, and take advantage of the SpeedFreaks rebate on these, for the first 20 sets.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405606...rake-pads.html

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405609...rake-pads.html