Thread: Oil Burn(?) on 325i sedan 2004

BMW Club

Default Oil Burn(?) on 325i sedan 2004

I've seen much info on this in US sites but not much in Quebec. My car has about 145,000 km on the odometer. My car until about 3 years ago would lose about 1 liter every 15k km. About two years ago it went abruptly to losing about 1 liter every 3k km. Lately it's losing 1 liter about every 2k km. Oil level is sensor is good as I confirm with dipstick. No obvious oil leaks. Small oil leak at VCG but I replaced it and it's fine. Checked around the oil filter housing, OK. I don't have any big puffs of blue smoke but maybe I wouldn't with this small amount of burn. Other than engine wear, I could only think of the oil separator which I've seen mentioned on some sites. Anybody know how you can tell if it's the oil separator? It's a fairly expensive fix to just try. Other than this, the car runs great. Any other ideas.

Thanks,

Any blue smoke out the back? What do the plugs look like?

Those separators are known to cause consumption issues but I don't recall to the tune of 1l per 2k. My 325i doesn't burn a drop of oil (been about 8500km's since I first got the car) and the CCV system is new thanks to the old owner.

BMW Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
    Any blue smoke out the back? What do the plugs look like?

Those separators are known to cause consumption issues but I don't recall to the tune of 1l per 2k. My 325i doesn't burn a drop of oil (been about 8500km's since I first got the car) and the CCV system is new thanks to the old owner.

Exhaust smoke looks the same as any other car. Any idea why the previous owner changed the CCV? I called BMW (for jokes) to see how much to change. $800 plus tax. They said if the car's running fine why change it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe à chamber cleaner would help with that comsumption . had dropped mine on m'y 328 1998

Quote Originally Posted by rocksonrocks View Post
    Exhaust smoke looks the same as any other car. Any idea why the previous owner changed the CCV? I called BMW (for jokes) to see how much to change. $800 plus tax. They said if the car's running fine why change it?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Bouncing idle according to the papers. The CCV was changed, the hoses and all that mess. It's technically a maintenance item just like the DISA valve. Oddly enough I just took a look at that on the weekend and noticed a small oil leak coming from the filter stand gasket. I set my SIR at 7000kms with PA Soft, I burn't 1.5L in 5000kms which is normal I'd say but I still think it's due to the Motul 5w30. I drive a lot of highway as my car is my office.

My Subaru (07 Impreza) would burn 4.7L of oil in 3k, yet never smoked blue... Sometimes I don't have all the answers.

BMW Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
    Bouncing idle according to the papers. The CCV was changed, the hoses and all that mess. It's technically a maintenance item just like the DISA valve. Oddly enough I just took a look at that on the weekend and noticed a small oil leak coming from the filter stand gasket. I set my SIR at 7000kms with PA Soft, I burn't 1.5L in 5000kms which is normal I'd say but I still think it's due to the Motul 5w30. I drive a lot of highway as my car is my office.

My Subaru (07 Impreza) would burn 4.7L of oil in 3k, yet never smoked blue... Sometimes I don't have all the answers.
    I recently had my oil filter housing gasket replaced. It had a wet leak. Is that what you call the filter stand gasket? I don't drive it much in the summer but after 2000 kms no low oil light yet. Not convinced because there's no oil on the driveway or the bottom engine cover. We'll see how it goes. Now i have a leak (small hole) in the front muffler. Local garage recommends finding a used full exhaust rather than a new front muffler. Can't seem to find one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksonrocks View Post
    I recently had my oil filter housing gasket replaced. It had a wet leak. Is that what you call the filter stand gasket? I don't drive it much in the summer but after 2000 kms no low oil light yet. Not convinced because there's no oil on the driveway or the bottom engine cover. We'll see how it goes. Now i have a leak (small hole) in the front muffler. Local garage recommends finding a used full exhaust rather than a new front muffler. Can't seem to find one. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am going to replace the stand gasket and vanos line when I change my vanos seals. I have a small oil leak that doesn't drip on my driveway but I know its there.

They couldn't braze the hole with a brass rod? Or it is leaking from the case halves?

BMW Club

They couldn't braze the hole with a brass rod? Or it is leaking from the case halves?[/QUOTE]

I asked if it could be repaired but they said it was in a difficult spot. Tried to add a picture but no luck. It's a hole about the size of a loonie on the front of the front muffler where the two front pipes come in.

If the CCV is failing or failed it will send oil vapors in the manifold.
    That oil will deposit on the DISA valve. It's an easy check.
    If your valve is original be ready to replace it if you remove it. As mentionned it is a maintnance item.